respect teamwork conversation scale security like value security-breach question delivery-truck dog accident folder slippery wheelchair Lifted Logic Web Design in Kansas City clock location phone play chevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up facebook checkbox checkbox-checked radio radio-selected instagram google plus pinterest twitter youtube send linkedin computer phone-call play-button quote-end quote-start pin call-answer envelope clock fax-machine right-arrow left-arrow mail-envelope-outlined

How to Get a Car Accident Report

How to Get a Car Accident Report in Missouri

When involved in a vehicle accident, Missouri law requires you to stop and remain at the scene of the accident in order to exchange information.

You must report any traffic accidents to the police that result in personal injury, fatality, or property damage of $500 or higher. After reporting an accident, you and the other driver or drivers must remain at the scene of the incident until the police arrive to investigate.

The quickest and easiest way to report a traffic accident is to simply call 911. In most cases, the local police department will be sent to investigate the accident if it occurred within city or county limits. Most accident reports will be able to be filled out by the responding officer who arrives at the scene. All other accidents will instead be investigated by the Missouri State Highway Patrol.

Additionally, any accidents that occur within less than one year and involve an uninsured motorist, injury, death, or property damage costing more than $500 must be reported to the Missouri Driver License Bureau.

How to Get a Copy of Your Car Accident Report

If you’re looking to get a copy of your traffic accident report, there are a few ways you could go about doing this. An easy way to get a copy is by hiring a personal injury lawyer who can acquire a copy of the accident report for you while handling your claim.

For traffic accidents under investigation by the State Highway Patrol, you can also request a copy of your report ten days after the incident occurred. 

If you were involved in an accident that’s under investigation by a local law enforcement agency, you can contact the police department or check its website for instructions on requesting a copy of your report.

Some police departments even have accident reports that are able to be purchased online, while other ones might have you mail or drop off your request for a copy in person at the police station. In Kansas City, you can purchase copies of car accident reports from the Kansas City Missouri Police Department for $9 per report.

However, if 911 was not called at the scene of the accident, you can instead get a copy of your report from the Missouri Department of Revenue’s website, your insurance provider, the Missouri Driver License Bureau, or any Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or license office.

Contact Our Car Accident Lawyers at McShane & Brady Today

In order to schedule a free consultation with our car accident lawyers in Kansas City, MO, be sure to call McShane & Brady or complete the online form on our website today. Our team will be able to get back to you within one business day.

McShane & Brady is a Kansas City law firm that represents those who have been injured through the negligence of another. We  have successfully represented many accident victims over the years, winning millions in settlements. If you or a loved one have been injured and are seeking compassionate, experienced attorneys with a proven track record of success, give us a call at 816-888-8010.